Considering social media within our crisis communications strategies is nothing new. Understanding some of the evidence-based theory behind what we’re attempting to do, for many of us, is new.
This is the second in our series of short videos on Crisis Communications Theory from Professor Timothy Coombs. (You can see the first one here.)
In his 7 minute masterclass on social media and crisis management, Professor Coombs covers:
- Why social media matters
- cryptonite social media case study
- How to assess social media issues: scanning, assessing, monitoring
- Primary types of crisis: rumours, complaints, challenges
- how to be seen
- go where the action is
- engagement v intimidation
- creating online advocates
- listening more than you talk
- ensuring transparency for credibility
For a great example of crises around social media, why not revisit our article on the Dominos pizza debacle?
You may also like to browse Crisis Communications books by Timothy Coombs:
Subscribe - weekly news and a free course!